Allied Health Link Round Up Blog- May 2019
Shout out to our colleagues working in REHABILITATION for this month…
Pressed for time? You know the information you are looking for is out there, you just need to spend some time looking for it…find it here. Links, resources and events collated for you.
Allied health and rehabilitative care
Are you looking for information on how to get into rehabilitative care? A wide range of allied health professionals, generally working in multi-disciplinary teams, are involved in the delivery of rehabilitation services. Some allied health professionals undertake advanced training to become specialists in a particular aspect of rehabilitation.
Visit Allied Health Profession Australia and learn about Allied Health rehabilitation teams and their common areas of work.
FREE directory of available entities providing professional development, education and training opportunities for health professionals. Click here
Physiotherapy inmotion- Five facts about…upper limb rehabilitation after stroke
Sarah Amesz, Dr Simone Dorsch, Natalie Fini, Phoebe Sansom, Zhao Lin Teoh contribute five treatment modalities that are recommended in the 2017 Clinical Guidelines for Stroke Management, as well as some practical tips on how to implement them in your practice. Read on…
What is Hand Therapy?
Hand Therapy is the art and science of rehabilitation of the upper limb – shoulder to hand. It involves evaluating and testing to assess the injured upper limb to which a specific treatment program can be designed. A variety of treatment techniques can be utilised to achieve these goals (AHTA).When to refer to a Hand Therapist? Click here to learn more
Latest blog from Purple Co
Jo shares her thoughts on the missing link between work and health. She created a short video to explain this thinking… Click to watch the short video.
Are you the 2019 REHABILITATION COUNSELLOR OF THE YEAR? Get your nominations submitted before the final cut off. Nominations have been extended until 31th May. NOMINATE TODAY
EQUIPMENT AND RESOURCES
AUDIOLOGY AND REHABILITATION
“The most important step to hearing is rehabilitation.”
Rehabilitation lesson kit # 24- MY FAMILY – MED-EL 24th professional lesson kit for aural rehabilitation is here and it’s packed with great “My Family” themed therapy resources. These free lesson kits are a professional resource for listening & spoken language specialists, audiologists, speech & language pathologists, rehabilitation specialists, and any other professional that works with children with hearing loss. Get your free full lesson kit now!
5th INTERNATIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL FOR CHILDREN, YOUTHS, AND ADULTS WITH HEARING DISORDERS “BEATS OF COCHLEA”
Working in neuro rehabilitation? Check out these resources.
- Connect Neuro Physiotherapy -Providing a range of online webinars both live and recorded for neurological rehabilitation aimed at both the public and private health professionals
- FREE recorded webinar on ” Changes & Updates in Neurological Therapy” brought to you by AHVC- watch the video whenever it suits you. Click here
- SLIDE SHARE on Neuro stroke rehab – Learn ASISH K DAS’S REHABILITATION PLAN – Click here for the slides
Aidacare is one of Australia’s largest Healthcare Equipment and Service providers.
Sports and exercise physio rehab resources
- Enda King Groin Rehabilitation Video Series- Click here
- The Sports Map Network- Free access to Jarrod Wade’s presentation on Rehabilitation for Match Demands- Click here
- 7 Great Shoulder Rehab Exercises video by Doctor Jo, a licensed Physical Therapist and Doctor of Physical Therapy. Click here to watch the video.
- Empowered Rehab has delivered workshop based training since 2006 to a range of health professionals including Physiotherapists, Psychologists, Occupational Rehabilitation Providers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Osteopaths, Injury Management Advisors, and Return to Work coordinators among many other professions.
Are you a hard working AEP making a difference in others’ lives? You should absolutely nominate yourself or your colleagues today… It’s FREE, EASY, ONLINE & ANONYMOUS! NOMINATE TODAY
DIGITAL RESOURCES & INNOVATION
REPS Recovery Exercises
App based on the PUSH Program devised by the team Macquarie University, great home program videos for your clients. Download APP for FREE
Check out our listing of clinical apps, professional and business management apps, software and amazing technology available for health professionals to investigate and keep up to date with, whether working publicly, privately or in the not for profit sector!
Be updated on new studies and trends with these interesting current articles…
VERSE is a PROBE trial, to determine whether two types of intensive aphasia therapy within 14 days of acute stroke, provided for 20 sessions (minimum 15 hours), deliver greater therapeutic and cost-effectiveness than usual care with particular attention paid to monitoring of trial fidelity. – CURRENT RESEARCH
- Aphasia rehabilitation based on mirror neuron theory: a randomized-block-design study of neuropsychology and functional magnetic resonance imaging. Neural Regeneration Research, 2019, Volume : 14 Issue : 6 Page : 1004-1012
- How is sexuality after stroke experienced by stroke survivors and partners of stroke survivors? A systematic review of qualitative studies. Sage Journal, Sept 2018, Volume: 33 issue: 2, page(s): 293-303
- Immersion of Virtual Reality for Rehabilitation – Review Applied Ergonomics, May 2018, vol 69; 153-161.
- Long term effects of cognitive rehabilitation on brain, functional outcome and cognition in Parkinson’s Disease. European Journal of Neurology, 2018, 25 (1); 5-12.
- Rehabilitation after urgent or elective orthopaedic surgery: The role of resilience in elderly patients. Rehabilitation Nursing Journal, 2018, 43 (5); 267-274
- A randomised controlled trial of very early rehabilitation in speech after stroke. (Original protocol of VERSE) International Journal of Stroke, 2016, 11 (5); 586-592.
Providing a specialised physiotherapy service for people with chronic/complex pain. Beyond pain also Run WORKSHOPS / TRAINING for groups and organisations on pain, fatigue and mental health. Anjelo Ratnachandra is the author of the popular self-guiding book Beyond Pain. Check out Beyond Pain’s useful resources and downloads.
Are you the next PHYSIOTHERAPIST OF THE YEAR? Do you know an amazing PHYSIO? Make sure you nominate! Nominations close 31st May! NOMINATE TODAY!
FACTSHEETS & REFRESHERS
Appropriate exercise prescription can restore stability and strength, as well as prevent weakness in the pelvic floor, abdominal wall and pelvis later in life (2). The primary focus should be on recovery and rehabilitation rather than weight lost. Download full version
Spinal cord injury and exercise
What exercise is best for people with SCI? Because the function of people with SCI is extremely varied, and the quantity and quality of research is limited, specific, prescriptive recommendations for exercise programs are not possible. However some general recommendations can be made… Download SPINAL CORD FACTSHEET
Rehabilitation for the cancer patient
Presentation by Dr lhab Samy- Lecturer of Surgical Oncology, Egyptian Cancer Institute – Click for the slide share
2019 Sub-Acute Rehabilitation of Childhood Stroke Clinical Guidelines
The latest up to date recommendations for the management and treatment of stroke in childhood. This guideline is aimed at medical and Allied Health professionals in the hospital and community setting. Developed by the Victorian Subacute Childhood Stroke Advisory Team and endorsed by the National Stroke Foundation. Download full version.
Have you stretched today?
Resources for your workplace- Have a fun and healthy break from your computer screen during the work day. Watch these Stretch Videos or print a copy of office stretch sheet and pin it up next to your workstation to remind you and your colleagues…
2019 Rehabilitation Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand 4th Annual Scientific Meeting
The theme for the conference is Contemporary Rehabilitation: Knowledge Translation, Collaboration and Community Engagement. The RMSANZ ASM 2019 to be held in Adelaide 20 – 23 October. Early bird registration deadline – 2 September 2019! Click to see event details
A 2- day course pitched to experienced clinicians from Australia’s best Upper Limb Physiotherapists.- Early Bird, closes Sept 1st
2nd Global Conference on Physiotherapy which will be held during August 15-16, 2019 in Prague, Czech Republic
Organised by Concentric Rehabilitation Centre Carine, PERTH (WA)- Secure your seat today!
Mobilisation, adjusting and manipulation are all manual therapy terms that mean quite different things. Osteopaths and Physiotherapists have been using these techniques for many years.
Registrations open for National Tour “Improving the lives of adults living with dysphagia” by Dr Julie Cichero
Don’t miss the opportunity to network with colleagues, potentially meet new ones and to support the hardworking Allied health community!
Thank you for supporting Allied Health Support Services. If you haven’t signed up yet and would like to be kept up to date on the latest Allied Health News, Professional Development, Opportunities, Marketing & Business, Events & Conferences for 2019- SIGN UP NOW FOR FREE.
Check out these great links, services and resources and let us know how we can help you!
Until next time, let’s support each other! #alliedhealthprofessionsrule
Director @ Allied Health Support Services